Shared Governance — Improving Practice Through Empowerment
AnMed Health’s shared governance model ensures clinical nurses a voice in determining nursing practice, standards and quality of patient care, and reflects the professionalism of these dedicated caregivers.
Seven core councils share governance of nursing practice across the system:
- Nursing Leadership Council – provides leadership and direction to all nursing councils.
- Nursing Professional Development Council – promotes educational standards and clinical competency; develops nursing retention strategies.
- Nursing Practice Council – implements and maintains clinical nursing practice standards.
- Nursing Quality Council – monitors care provided by the nursing staff and ensures compliance with standards of care.
- Nursing Research Council – supports evidence-based nursing practice; mentors staff to conduct nursing research.
- Nurse Manager Council – shares information and facilitates interdepartmental collaboration; recommends changes to policies and procedures to improve care.
- Directors Council – guides strategic initiatives and tracks their completion.
In addition, unit-based councils guide unit operations by managing point-of-service care, promoting autonomy, partnership and shared accountability.