Improving Quality of Life
AnMed Health’s supportive care team works to prevent and ease suffering while making quality of life better for patients with a serious illness. The team is led by a doctor and includes medical professionals and other support staff with special training. The supportive care team helps patients:
- manage pain, nausea, anxiety, shortness of
breath and other symptoms;
- consider care options and make decisions about
tests, treatments, surgeries and medicines;
- understand advance care planning and fill out
documents (Healthcare Power of Attorney,
Living Will, Five Wishes);
- make their wishes and goals known and understood;
- receive the spiritual and emotional care they need; and
- arrange for care at home or another setting.
Important questions to ask your doctor when facing serious illness:
- What is wrong with me or my loved one?
- Can it be cured? Can it be treated?
What does this mean to me?
- How will this condition affect my quality
- What are the goals of the treatment plan?
- What are the risks and/or benefits of the
therapy and medicines?
- Is my loved one in any pain?
- What is being done to ease pain and fear?
- How will my loved one be fed and what are
the risks of that?
- How will my values/faith be part of treatment
If you or a loved one has a serious illness and would like to talk with a supportive care specialist about physical, emotional or spiritual pain and symptoms, please talk with your doctor. Patients, family members, doctors and nurses may also call the supportive care team directly at 864.512.1826 or 864.512.2275 for more information.
To passionately blend the art of caring with the science of medicine to optimize the quality of life of patients with serious or advanced illness.