Radiation therapy uses radiation to destroy or damage cancer cells. It is one of the most common cancer treatments, and can be used by itself or with other forms of treatment. Radiation is a local treatment, which means it only affects the part of the body being treated. New technology for delivering radiation allows doctors to pinpoint the cancer cells much more precisely than ever before.
At AnMed Health, our radiation oncology department exclusively uses Varian equipment, one of the most respected brands of radiation equipment. High dose radiation (HDR) treatment is a precise science that requires planning and teamwork between radiation oncologists, physicists, dosimetrists and other specialists. AnMed Health’s purchase of Varian’s TrueBeam™ System for high-precision image-guided radiotherapy and radiosurgery will make treatment from these specialists extremely effective in destroying cancers of lung, breast, prostate, head and neck, and other types of cancer. All of our radiation therapists are licensed and certified.
Radiation Oncology is located in the Cancer Center and offers the following state-of-the-art technologies:
- Linear accelerators deliver deep-penetrating photon and more superficial electron beams while minimizing effects to the skin.
- IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) delivers high-dose radiation to tumors with great accuracy while minimizing radiation doses to the surrounding body parts
- Light Speed Wide-bore CT scanner helps radiation oncologists and dosimetrists with precise radiation therapy planning using advanced oncology clinical applications.
- Brachytherapy uses radioactive seeds implanted or deployed directly into or immediately adjacent to the disease. Outpatient brachytherapy available for lung, GYN, prostate and breast cancer patients.
- MammoSite® passes high-energy beams through the skin to treat the entire breast, minimizing radiation to healthy tissue.
- Partial breast radiotherapy is available to early stage breast cancer patients that meet certain criteria.
Radiation Oncology is open weekdays from 8 a.m.to 4:30 p.m. and can be reached by calling (864) 512-4600.