Are you at risk for heart disease? Your answers to these questions will help you know. Give yourself a point for each risk factor that applies to you or to any blood relative (parent, sibling, etc.).
- Heart disease before age 55
- High blood pressure (current or history of)
- Physically active for less than 30 minutes a day
- Currently use or have used tobacco
- Previous heart attack
- Heart disease
- Heart surgery
- High blood cholesterol (current or history of)
- Sleep apnea
- Eat fried or fatty foods three times a week or more
- Have a great deal of stress in your life
- Waist size – greater than 35”(women) or 40” (men)
- High blood triglycerides – greater than 150
If you scored a total of 5 or more and are not currently being treated for a heart condition, talk to your family doctor about your risk for heart disease. Don’t have a family doctor? Check our physician directory to find a family doctor near you.